Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Random Art Attack VI

So today's art attack is a piece that attacks on a different level than the others (okay, so most of them aren't all that aggressive.) But this one is a sculpture of me...


I started working with the Edmonton-based artist Richard Tosczak in 2004, after we acted together in Arthur Miller's The Crucible at the Walterdale Playhouse. He was John Proctor; I was Abigail Williams. Interesting dynamic there, but the professional relationship we established
carried over to our many artist-model sessions during that summer. I left for England before he could finish but I have hopes now that I'm back in the country.

Our sessions were intense and I came away exhausted, like I had just finished a gym work-out. It took great concentration to hold this pose, but my muscles developed a memory and Richard's frequent exclamations of "Hold it! Did you move your hands? It looks different. Move your elbow out again!" certainly pushed me to get into a greater state of stillness.

It was remarkable seeing the clay take shape; muscles and sinews, tension and weight coaxed alive under Richard's master touch. I would look over at Richard working away on the inanimate form and imagine my clay doppleganger rising to her clay feet and towering over me. It was definitely a unique experience!

Richard was recently commissioned to create a sculpture for Hawrelak park so look for that next year.

3 Comments:

At 11:11 p.m., February 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - Jodie it does have you in it!

I hope he will finish it. It's beautiful, really.

I heard about his commission on the radio.

Congrats to you, Richard.
Theresa

 
At 5:45 a.m., March 02, 2007, Blogger Loren said...

Too cool Jodes,

Looking great, though it's been a long time coming together!

Still, re-congratulations to Richard on the commission. It'll be a great addition to the park - just knowing the caliber of his sculptural work.

 
At 1:11 p.m., April 25, 2007, Blogger southernsphere said...

oooh so nice to see a picture!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home