Wednesday, October 18, 2006

and finally, the photos!

My Bedroom....

Over the course of several weeks, and through the generous assistance from my good friend Ryan, I battled the issue of getting me and all my stuff into a room that was sorely lacking in size, furniture and shelving.

Through careful planning which involved consulting Feng Shui manuals, drafting detailed floorplans, and holding considerable and lengthy consternations deep in the vast isles of Ikea, my room finally began to take form.


It was a full evening's work to put together the furniture; me dutifully consulting the manuals each step along the way - a vision of deep and skilled concentration, occasionally marred by curses (and a few irate bangs of the hammer) at the doodles on paper that were blocking my creative building process. Ryan, on the other hand, went and tossed the manual out the window and got at it armed with screwdriver in hand and a healthy dose of practical know-how and 'motorcycle maintenance' Zen. I won't say if he was faster but it certainly was more a more impressive tactic.
One challenge was dealing with the rather 'blah' view out my window. Something to block out the neighbour's rubbish and noise, something to create a screen of privacy and yet would allow the southern sunshine to pour in, whenever it feels inclined. What would do the trick?
...
On Monday, I found the perfect solution... give it a month and there'll be ivy and pothos and spider plants crawling all down the window pane.





So now I am able to play and rest in my very own space: a room full of my energy, my present and past, my beloved possessions and memories - cozy and stuffed full of personality - warm and inviting - and distinctly mine.


I love coming home to my room! Which is a fine n' dandy thing too, as I have all reason to believe I'll be here for the next five months... my lengthiest stay in one place in over three years.














5 Comments:

At 8:46 a.m., October 19, 2006, Blogger Loren said...

Looks crazy Jodes, but a room that's all yours from start to finish is a great idea. I can't think of a time when you actually went all-out on your own space...

A little sanctity in the chaos of London. A quiet (or not so quiet) space to come home to - and I love the plants in the window.

We're working on temporal spaces out here. It's the trick of trying to create a great baby space that's only going to last a couple months - and then off to be in other people's houses in the Okanagan.

 
At 3:45 p.m., October 19, 2006, Blogger M said...

Yay! Finally a room of your own - it must feel good to have that taken care of - and it looks great!

 
At 12:21 a.m., October 21, 2006, Blogger nicholas said...

Wow, looks cozy and amazingly organized, well done! Now that winters here it'll be nice to have a place of your own to hibernate in.

 
At 12:39 a.m., October 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your own snuggy home. I love it!

Mom

 
At 11:09 p.m., October 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks cozy baby!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home