Friday, November 03, 2006

Cycling

I love cycling in London!

Seriously, can't explain it really well, but there's something mind-boggling thrilling about getting lost in a bog somewhere in Wimbledon park and then finding yourself five minutes later, cruising between miles of backed-up traffic and thinking "Mugs!" as you go whizzing past them all.

It's a real rush for me. (Not the name-calling part, though... *wink*)

Some of my best moments here are when I'm cycling home from school or from visiting friends in the evening and the traffic has thinned out and the night is lit brilliantly with stars (yes! you can see the stars in London) and the familiar landmarks stand solid and magical and the air is crisp and clean. I could stay here forever on those nights.

Addendum: I could just jump up and down in glee. Well, actually I did. I got these sweeeeeeeet racing shoes off of eBay at a ridiculously low cost. They're the second-from-the-top Carnac model (Quartz) and are made of kangaroo leather uppers with carbon enforced sole. Their biggest selling point is how comfortable they are (I've been known to wear my Specialized Sonoma all day at school as they're about the comfiest shoe I've got and saves me from packing another pair.) Can't wait to see how these puppies perform. They so flipping pretty that I'm actually a bit nervous to use them. But that's how I felt about my bike last year and now look how I throw it about.

Will give them a go at my first group ride on Saturday out in Surry. Will be good fun, I'm sure.

6 Comments:

At 1:24 a.m., November 04, 2006, Blogger nicholas said...

I think my days of cycling in Edmonton are gong to have to end soon. Riding to work in the snow is getting a little scary with no front brake and nearly flat tires. Sad :(

 
At 11:00 a.m., November 04, 2006, Blogger M said...

Sounds amazing!

 
At 10:48 a.m., November 05, 2006, Blogger Loren said...

I haven't been out for a good cycle in years. Literally. It's kind of sad, but all that will come to an end in another couple years :-)

Between now and then we're going to be raising a baby, moving back to the okanagan, moving to south africa, moving back to Canada...

I'm getting tired just thinking about it. But it has to be said that I'm getting tired in a very good way! Adventures heaped on adventures. I'm one lucky husband and father to be!

 
At 3:12 p.m., November 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The riding in Edmonton certainly is treacherous these days. It is comparable to riding on a wet skating rink. Not to mention the wind! brrrr.

 
At 6:33 p.m., November 11, 2006, Blogger nicholas said...

Fancy shoes, my Dad likes them!

 
At 6:59 p.m., November 11, 2006, Blogger Lightfooted said...

I like them too! Was surprised how quick it was to break them in. They were great for the three-hour training group training I did today. Man, I got SPANKED - those girls are in shape and fast! Actually, they were much more like women, mature woman than girls. So yeah, I got my arse thrashed by women in their forties.

Good, humbling experience. Will train harder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home