Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Asking the Right Questions

I've been listening to that ubiquitous guru of personal success, Anthony Robbins during my 7- and 10-km runs these days, burning through his 26-day Personal Power "Transformation" mp3s in a couple of weeks. This means I haven't really been completing the 'assignments' he suggests, as I would have to stop and freeze instead of running warmly to work. All the same, I think I've been absorbing some of the stuff he says...

One thing he shared yesterday on Day 25: How to solve problems quickly and effectively that really resonated with me is how we ask questions of ourselves. Do any of these sound familiar?
  1. Why does this always happen to me?
  2. What's wrong with me?
  3. How come I can't do, or get, or afford.....?

Well, it seems that asking these apparently 'hypothetical' questions, your brain gets to work on finding answers - even - and especially if you don't actually want to know why! It'll search your databank of past situations to justify and explain why you once again have found yourself in a situation you don't want. If it can't find a reason immediately, it might even make up a ramdom one like, "coz your dumb."

These questions also presupposes some pretty limiting things:

  1. That this situation is part of a pattern.
  2. That there is something wrong with you!
  3. That you actually can't do, or get, or afford whatever it is you want to do.

By asking these limiting questions, your brain will always come up with answers - but not solutions.

So instead of asking questions that just make you feel bad about yourself or your situation, use these:

5 questions that will prompt your brain to find Solutions:

  1. What is great about this? (Or, what could be great about this?)
  2. What is not perfect yet?
    (The presupposition is that it's going to be perfect!)
  3. What am I willing to do to make things the way I want?
    (The presupposition is that you're already willing to make changes, and that you can!)
  4. What am I not willing to no longer do in order to make things the way I want?
  5. How can I do what's necessary to get this job done and enjoy the process?
So, by asking these questions, your brain will begin to search and find solutions for yourself - even if you don't want - or are unable to feel positive about your current situation.

Try it!

How fast can you break out of limiting patterns?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home