Thursday, November 29, 2007

Bikes all day

Biking to a Different Beat
NYC kids on their mobile beat machines

One of the best things about working in the Bicycle Division of the City of Toronto's Transportation Safety Planning Department, is that looking at articles like the one above, is completely encouraged - in fact, can even pass as research.

This one definitely passes as research:

Toronto's Michal Kapral in his "Twinkie" Velomobile

OMG!
I so want one of those!!







Kapral says:

"I live 10 kilometres away from work; driving takes me 47 minutes [parking included]. The streetcar takes me 47 minutes, but the streetcars are normally late or delayed in some manner. When I was in really good shape I could run home in 35 minutes, but I would need to shower and change afterwards. Now the Velomobile takes me 20 minutes, plus another 10 minutes answering a mob of questions from people on the street while I lock it up. But still, I get to work in less the time then it would take me to drive in half the effort of running, and I get my exercise for the day, all while enjoying the comforts of a car without the need to pay for gasoline or insurance."

And even this article from the BBC News has been circulating around the office.

Bike sex man placed on probation.
(Oh, dear. Can't a person get a bit of peace these days?)

I love my job!

4 Comments:

At 2:59 p.m., November 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol.............don't tell my boss but i love your job too!!!

 
At 8:45 p.m., December 03, 2007, Blogger M said...

dan has been coveting a velomobile for quite some time now... you two have something in common!

 
At 2:24 a.m., December 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, if they put electric heaters into velomobiles, I'm sure we'd have a lot more people buying them in Canada...

BTW - Cool blog, Jodie. haven't checked it out before Marsha sent me this link, but I'll be back. Yes, I'll be back...

 
At 11:57 a.m., December 05, 2007, Blogger Lightfooted said...

Thanks Dan, for your kudos!

I totally would want to get a velomobile before an automobile. Kapral's adapting this one to have a domed roof to keep out rain, so that will make it more appealing to Canadians in the spring/autumn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home