Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Kids can - indeed - bike


This summer, I was fortunate enough to stumble upon the perfect summer job: a camp counsellor for the Kids CAN-BIKE Camp, an innovative week-long bicycle camp that runs through the City of Toronto, and by the generous donations of local sponsors like Canadian Tire, Children's Aid Society and MEC. It provides children who are at-risk or low income with all the equipment and training needed to bike safely in their neighbourhoods at no cost to themselves or their families. The best part of it all is that at the end of the week, the 10 campers take home their bike!

In order to teach this camp, I had to quickly get my qualifications up to spec (CAN-BIKE 2, First Aid and CPR, First Alert), plan a summer schedule with Idi and Sarah (the other counsellors) and before I knew it - 80 kids, 80 bikes and oodles of fun riding in the sun zipped by before I could say, "Kids can indeedy bike!

I loved it so much, I requested to stay on and am now involved in the expansion of the camp. One of my projects was to prepare this website for the Camp; a snapshot of our summer with an emphasis on our sponsors and agencies. It just went live yesterday, and I'm hoping to hear some feedback, so if you're curious - (especially if you might consider this to be a fun job to have next summer!) please have a look.

1 Comments:

At 7:40 p.m., November 14, 2007, Blogger M said...

what a fantastic program for you to get involved with! go jodie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home