Thursday, February 07, 2008

Zero

Passing through the 7-11 last night. I picked up a Zero chocolate bar, lured in by its circa 1980s sparkly wrapper and the word "cool" scrawled across the label. While attempting to savour the four little squares, I had a few short moments to contemplate what it would be like at that Hershey's brainstorming session:

Zero - what does that make you think of?
  • Zero degrees
  • Zero calories
  • Zero guilt
  • Zero nutrition
  • Zero flavour
Doing a quick online search, I discover that it's not even a chocolate bar - it's a "candy" bar. It also provides the nutrition facts per square, so at first glace - "Oh, 80 calories isn't bad at all!" really means, for the mathly-deficient, a quick punch on the ol' calculator, says that it's 320 calories - comparable to a MacDonald Cheeseburger. But it's too late: you've ate it by then!! If only you did the math before you laid down your pocket change for this heart-attack in a shiny wrapper.

And to think it's made in Belgium.

(I'm feeling I may have been a little bit harsh on this innocent chocolate bar, especially since its enjoyed a loyal fan base since 1931, but I encourage you to take a good, hard look at your favourite chocolate "candy" and wonder a few things...like, oh, for example: how does the marketing of this chocolate bar compare to the marketing of say... a cigarette brand. Do I really enjoy its flavour or just eating it coz I've always ate it. Is it the thing causing my afternoon crash, or my headaches, or my weight gain? You know... unsavoury thoughts like that.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home